PATIENT INSTRUCTIONS FOR SEMEN COLLECTION AND SCHEDULING
Please call the office to schedule your semen analysis. Specimens cannot be dropped off without an appointment.
- Refrain from any sexual activity including masturbation for 2-5 days prior to semen collection. There is a collection room available adjacent to our clinic.
- The semen specimen should be collected by masturbation. Alternate methods may be discussed but are not recommended. Do not collect the specimen in a regular condom as these contain spermicidal agents that will alter the results of the analysis.
- Collect the entire ejaculate into a sterile container provided by the clinic/lab. Avoid touching the internal sterile wall of the container. The use of other containers is not recommended as these may be toxic and kill the sperm. Mineral oil can be provided, if needed, as a lubricant. Do not use saliva or any other lubricant, as many of these are toxic and will kill sperm.
- You must label the container with your name, date, and time of collection.
If you are collecting semen at home:
- Bring the specimen to the office within one hour of collection. The specimen must be kept at room or body temperature. Do not expose the specimen to temperature extremes (do not refrigerate or expose to heat greater than body temperature). If you are unable to deliver the specimen to the office within the hour, a private room is available for collection of the specimen. (see above for further details).
When arriving at RMSCVA:
- Present the specimen to the lab. The lab is located on the third floor of the Martha Jefferson Outpatient Care Center, Suite 3044.
- Upon presentation, you will be asked for photo ID for verification. Please complete the semen analysis questionnaire attached and return to the lab technician.
The number of motile sperm may be obtained from your physician at the time of your partner’s insemination. A full semen analysis report with more detailed test results will be available within 3 days of the analysis. A message regarding the semen analysis will be left on a confidential voice mail system you will access using your social security number. Call 800-576-1124 and enter 9300 as the 4 digit code and then enter your social security number.
Call the clinic at 434-654-8520 with any questions, Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm.